Dermal Filler Pre-Treatment Guidelines
Recommended guidelines for obtaining the best results from your dermal filler and other injectable treatments:
Dermal Filler injections (Restylane, Juvederm, Restylane Lyft, Rstylane Silk, Radiesse, Belotero, Sculptra, Bellafill – also PRP) carry the risk of bruising if you are taking certain supplements or medications. To reduce this risk, please note the items on this list and discontinue at least 3 days (7 days if time allows) before your appointment for injections.
Medications to Discontinue 3 Days Before Treatment (7 days if time allows)
- Ibuprofen (Motrin, Advil, Aleve)
- St. John’s Wort
- Omega 3 fatty acids (Fish Oil)
- Vitamin E
- Ginkgo Biloba
**if you have been prescribed Aspirin or any prescription Blood Thinner, do not discontinue unless permitted by your prescribing physician. Cold Sores: If you have a history of cold sores, ask us about pre-care instructions.
Possible Side Effects
The intensity and duration of your side effects depends on the treatment aggressiveness and
your individual healing characteristics, but usually can last up to a week after treatment.
Swelling: You will notice most of the swelling the first morning after treatment, particularly
under the eyes. Swelling usually lasts two to three days. To minimize swelling:
- Apply cold compresses to the treatment area for 10 minutes every hour
- Sleep elevated the first night. Use several pillows for elevation
- If you are a stomach sleeper, try to sleep on your back the first night
- Take Arnica Montana and/or Bromelain supplements, which can be found at your local pharmacy or herbal supplement store.
Lips: The initial swelling after treatment to the lips may last longer. Some patients experience swelling for up to a week and the lips can look somewhat ‘uneven’ during this time. After the swelling has subsided, you will be able to see your true results. It takes time for hyaluronic gels to balance with your skin’s own water content.
Redness: You may apply makeup immediately after treatment to minimize the redness.
Tenderness/Pain: You may take Advil or Tylenol if necessary.
After Treatment Skin Care- Fillers
- Avoid Excessive Sun and Heat: Until any initial swelling and redness has resolved. This includes aggressive exercise.
- Avoid squeezing or massaging the treated areas for several hours after treatment, as this may subtly change the shape we are trying to achieve. If you were also treated with the injectable Sculptra Aesthetic, please disregard this and massage as you were instructed.
- Sunscreen: Proper and frequent application of sunscreen is always important. The sunscreen should offer broadband protection (UVA and UVB) and have a sun protection factor (SPF) of 30 or more. You should apply sunscreen 20 minutes before going outside, and again, immediately before. After that, reapply your sunscreen every 2 hours. If direct sun exposure is necessary, wear a hat and clothing that covers the treated area. Use this regimen during the healing period and always.
After Treatment Skin Care- Neuromudulators (Botox & Dysport)
- It is important to keep your head upright for 4-6 hours after injections
- No exercising for 24 hours post injections
- You can apply makeup after injection in a light upward motion
- Neuromodulators generally takes 3-4 days to become effective but can take up to 10 days
- Avoid facial massages for 1 week post injections
- If you have never had Botox, Dysport, or Xeomin before it is possible to get a headache after injections; you may take Tylenol.
After any injection it is possible to have bruising and swelling at the injection site, however it is not very common with these types of injections